Friday, July 14, 2017

Single-Payer Zealots Getting Rude. Why?

SB 562, the Healthy California Act, has been shelved by Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon.

He had to shelve it, since the Assembly caucus wasn't having any of it. They did not want to put their necks on the line to support a bill with a massive price tag, something which even they could not go along with.

SB 562, the would-be single-payer proposal, was dead on arrival from the state senate, anyway. When three Democrats abstain on a bill, you know it's going to face serious headwinds heading into the state assembly. Normally, the entire state senate votes in lock-step as a block, whether the Democrats or the Republicans, for legislation to go through.

But that did not happen this time.

Instead of subjecting himself and the Democratic caucus to further embarrassment and the wrath of the hateful labor unions, Rendon chose to throw himself on the grenade and stop SB 562.

Of course, the progressives who are taking over the California Democratic Party are having none of this. More of them are fleeing the Democratic Party because of the rampant corruption and resistance to their radical agenda.

Check out what I had to confront in front of Speaker Anthony Rendon's office in South Gate:



At this event, I was followed around by a member of the nurses' union. 

Some of the people at the event cursed at me. In one brief instance, I feared for my safety. At least a fellow Trump supporter showed up and had my back for the greater part of my time at the protest.

There was this one guy named Andrew Boulet.

"You're an asshole!"


His comments about single-payer opponents really offended and saddened me:



"Let me tell you the people who don't want single payer:

1. Health insurance companies
2. People paid by health insurance companies
3. Assholes"

Yes, he called opponents "assholes" for not agreeing with him.

I didn't know who he was at the time, when I received an email from this Andrew Boulet person, who wanted to discuss single-payer health care with me.

Then I met him in person, and I called him out on calling opponents of single-payer "assholes." Honestly, if someone cannot have a decent conversation with you on substantive issues like health care, it's crystal clear that they are not invested in policy discussion as much as raw politicking. When I confronted him on the personal slights, he laughed me off and said "OK, I see that your feelings are hurt ...."

But that's not the point. The issue is the condescension coming from someone who does not agree with you colors the debate in a terrible way. It's just not right. We need to be able to have a real exchange of ideas without labeling the opponent as "racist" or "hateful" or something else.

This will not work out for the better. I don't believe in attacking people personally just because they disagree with me on something--on anything!

I am still trying to get ideas as to why men and women still support single-payer health care, so ...

I attended a single-payer discussion seminar in Culver City.

The leader of the meeting welcomed me, and I sat in the back. Maureen Cruise actually invited me to share views on issues. She allowed me to ask questions, too.

At the end of the meeting, I spoke with two people about the whole government medicine proposal.

The first one began accusing me of wanting to let thousands of people die.

Then another guy shamed me by claiming I wanted to see 20,000 people dead in order to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

I did not let that guy get away with it, though:


and then


So, why are some single-payer zealots becoming rude?

I fear it has a great deal to do with the fact that more people are paying attention, and they are challenging the bare assumptions of government-run or government-funded medicine. As the whole program is getting closer to becoming a reality, men and women are learning more about it--and a lot of it is bad.

Let's take steps to have real health care reform. Not through more subsidies and government interventions, but relying on limited yet necessary and proper government norms, framed within the fundamental laws of supply, demand, and natural resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment