Sunday, May 21, 2017

Congressman Richard Hudson: Blue Lives Matter, National Reciprocity Author

Congressman Richard Hudson
Congressman Richard HudsonFacebookTwitterYouTubeRSS
May 21, 2017
Friends,
 
As a child, I was always taught to look for a police officer if I was ever in trouble. I knew that no matter what, I could rely on them and they would try to help me. Now that I’m a father, I am teaching my son Lane the exact same thing – trust and respect the men and women in uniform who serve. Every day, our law enforcement officers leave their homes and put themselves in harm’s way to keep us safe and enforce our laws; we are so fortunate to have them protecting us. At a time when the law enforcement community is too often targeted by unfair rhetoric and even violence, we must never take for granted their service.
 
This past week, I had the chance to recognize the men and women in blue who serve our communities as part of National Police Week. This tradition began in 1962 as a way to honor those law enforcement officers who made the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty. In honor of National Police Week, the House of Representatives passed several pieces of legislation designed to ensure these brave men and women have the tools they need to do their jobs, keep the public safe, and safely return home to their families.
 
 
As your Congressman, I was proud to support seven different pieces of legislation that will strengthen our ability to protect everyday Americans as well as make good on our promises to provide benefits to those in law enforcement and their families. These bills will help strengthen police capabilities to protect the public by delivering timely resources and streamlining procedures. I also voted to take steps to make sure our promises are kept to police families.One such bill, the Public Safety Officers’ Benefits Improvement Act, will reduce inefficiencies to help public safety officers and their loved ones get the death and disability benefits they have rightfully earned throughout their service.
 
Additionally, I continued my efforts to be the voice of our nation’s veterans. Too often we hear stories of hardworking veterans struggling to find quality work after ending their career in the military. To help address this, the American Law Enforcement Heroes Act provides an incentive for the hiring of veterans as police officers.
 
Across the district, I have heard from many of you about your concerns with violence across the country – especially efforts to harm police officers. The idea that someone would target a police officer based simply on the uniform they wear is inconceivable. To discourage such a horrendous act, I voted for the Thin Blue Line Act. This legislation sends the firm and absolute message that attacks against those who serve our communities – law enforcement, firefighters, and first responders – will not be tolerated.
 
 
I’ve always believed that our communities are stronger when we can come together and find common ground. From making sure our roads are safe to extending a helping hand for those in need, police officers enable us to live productive lives free of fear. We must never take for granted the services provided to us by police as well as other first responders.
 
I am thankful for all those who have answered the call to serve and protect, and I look forward to continuing my work alongside them to build a better future for all North Carolinians. 
 
 
Until next week,
Richard Hudson

No comments:

Post a Comment