Saturday, July 30, 2022

Ongoing Reflections on the Political Scene



On Sunday, July 10, 2022, I attended my first political meeting in over six months.

I was underwhelmed, to put it mildly.

There were not very many people attending (about 15 tops, and that included the speakers, and two of them had to leave early for another engagement). The youngest person there was 37 years old, and that young person was not me, either.

The main speaker was a candidate for the United States Senate, who is campaigning to run against Dianne Feinstein. We have to wonder if she even has a chance, since Feinstein is pushing 90 years old, with advanced evidence of dementia hampering her basic ability to move around the US capitol or engage in daily business.

She probably will not survive until the 2024 election.

At any rate, during the question and answer period, I asked the candidate if she would sponsor a constitutional amendment to define marriage between one man and one woman. She was not open to doing that, but she would support legislation for that effort, and she made it very clear that she recognized marriage between one man and one woman.

While I was pressing her on this issue (as a US Senator, she could help start the movement to codify natural marriage in the United States Constitution), one of the older guys in the front of the audience shushed me: "People who pursue that are wasting their time."

It was really rude, and completely uncalled for. There was no reason for that guy to shame me.

After the meeting, I confronted that guy, and I told him off. "You had no right or reason to shut me down. That was totally uncalled for."

Another guy walked up to me, and he told me that we should just focus on California, and not worry about national issues. I could not believe that two people were wasting my time arguing with me about the desire for a constitutional amendment.

More to my credit, there were two people in the audience sitting near me who agreed with me. We need our elected officials to make the effort to move the cultural norms in the right direction in this country, even if they cannot succeed right away. One man sitting right next to me said, "You can't win if you don't try!"

Exactly.

And that's when I realized that this whole meeting and the club had turned into a complete waste of time. It seems like political conservative groups have no influence, no interest in doing anything, in getting anything done. All they want to do is bicker about internecine political conflicts about which club should represent which part of the South Bay in Los Angeles County.

There is no plan to win elections. There is no plan to register voters. There is no means or desire to raise money. It's just a bunch of old people who want to occupy their time on a Sunday afternoon. What is the point of going to these clubs, when there are no policy changes working in our direction?

I wonder how many of the members in that meeting even walked precincts to help elect local candidates? Did any of them do anything? Anything at all?!

Probably not. They had one dinner to give the candidates a chance to speak to the members, and even then that meeting was a dude. About twenty people showed up, and that was it. It was really disappointing.

To this day, I am not sure what is the point of these meetings, and I have stopped attending them. I am committed to not wasting my time with those meetings, too. The candidates do not have a chance, and there is no party apparatus, on infrastructure to guarantee any kind of victory for any candidates. All of it is a gross waste of time.

They don't want to win. They just want to whine.

They want to sit around and feel sorry for themselves because their candidates do not have a chance, and they believe that any effort is not worth the effort. There is too much gossip, too much hand-wringing, lots of complaining, but no interest in working.

I have had enough. For the time being, just count me out. I am so done with this waste of time and energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment