Monday, February 5, 2018

Senator Dianne Feinstein Responds: Still Stands with Illegals, Ignores American Dreamers


Dear Mr. Schaper:

Thank you for writing to express your opposition to the “Dream Act of 2017.”  I appreciate the time you took to write, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

On July 20, 2017, Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) introduced the “Dream Act of 2017” (S. 1615).  This legislation would provide a path to legal status to undocumented persons who were 18 years or younger when they first arrived in the United States, have lived in the country four years prior to enactment, and have satisfied certain higher education or military service requirements, among other criteria.  This bill is currently pending before the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, of which I am Ranking Member.




I believe there is a need to protect undocumented young people, known as “Dreamers” from deportation.  These young people are fiercely patriotic, and are American in every way that matters.  The typical recipient came to this country at 6 years old. They’ve known no other home, but this one.  Many of them only speak English.  I believe that protecting these youngsters isn’t a matter of politics or economics.  It’s really about what’s right as Americans and human beings.  I really believe we have a moral obligation to do all we can to shield these young people from deportation.  For this reason, I have long supported giving certain foreign-born children, known as “Dreamers,” the opportunity to apply for legal permanent residence if they attend college or serve in our military, pass security checks, and meet other criteria.

While we may not agree on this particular issue, please know that I respect your opinion, and I will be mindful of your views as Congress considers reforms to our nation’s immigration laws. 

As Ranking Member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which oversees our nation’s immigration laws, your thoughts are important to me.  Please know that I will keep your concerns in mind should immigration legislation come before me for consideration.  

Once again, thank you for writing. Should you have any other questions or comments, please call my Washington office at (202) 224-3841 or visit my website at feinstein.senate.gov.  You can also follow me online at YouTubeFacebook and Twitter, and you can sign up for my email newsletter at feinstein.senate.gov/newsletter.

Best regards.



Sincerely yours,


  Dianne Feinstein
         United States Senator

No comments:

Post a Comment