Friday, September 29, 2017

Letter to the Editor: Trump Supporter Explains Meaning of "Chicano"

Arthur,

This is what I remember about the word Chicano!! Times have changed and it probably means something different to others, but this is what it meant to me then and I learned quick to get away from it!!!



I grew up in the 60's 70's era and I'm telling you that either I was to be a Chicano or surfer, you had to choose. Chicano meant you were with the gang members. I got into it in the 6th grade, got out quick because it was boring and all they wanted to do was accuse people of "I heard you were talking about me" and want to beat someone up for it. I started hanging out with the "surfer" crowd. Started going to the beach and living, not hanging out with people who wanted to beat up other people for nothing!

I even knew of a few white guys who were "Chicano" back then! It meant gang members back in the day. But I don't remember the gang members back then waving a Mexican flag! It's taken on a whole new meaning, like brown Mexican power or something like that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment