Monday, November 21, 2011

Lawsuit Lands on Lousy LAUSD Lemons

LA Weekly is taking to the Man, in this case, Los Angeles Unified School District.

The White Elephant Beaudry Building that juts above Downtown LA could use a serious scrubbing before a much-need razing.

I was stulled my first -- and only year -- at LA Unified. I am still stull-tified by how stupid and stolid the whole affair was.

The Stull Evaluation is a joke, and I am saying this from experience as a one-year only teacher who could not believe how brazen a fraud the administrators would perpetrate.

my supervising administrator visited my class one time, but not on any of the three dates listed on the evaluation. I was rated "satisfactory", although the assistant principal advised me that I could attach a one-page response challenging any of the results that did not measure up.


I signed it anyway, convinced that I must have met some standard of excellence, since I had held on as long as I did, even though no one really appreciated the real job that I had done.

This in spite of being attacked by a student, maliciously maligned by irate students intent on instigating my dismissal, and feckless administrators who took the parents' side much of the time instead of hearing me out on my concerns.

I eventually ran screaming from the school site, so fed up and fired up about the disrespect and dissolute disdain of administrators and teachers for the educational process.

Teachers deserve to run their classrooms, not students, and definitely not parents. Yes, evaluate our educators, by all means. Better yet, why not give parents a choice where they send their kids, and let the market forces of choice and chance determine which schools last, and which never make the grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment