Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Truth About Job: No Personal Knowledge of the Lord

Job did not know the Lord, which is the one thing that the Almighty longs to have with His fallen creation:

"And it shall be at that day, saith the LORD, that thou shalt call me Ishi; and shalt call me no more Baali.

"For I will take away the names of Baalim out of her mouth, and they shall no more be remembered by their name." (Hosea 2: 17-18)

Here, "Ishi" means "My Husband", while "Baali" means, "My Master". The Lord wants us to be intimate with Him, not just subservient.


"And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more." (Jeremiah 31:34)

The Lord desires to know us more than we desire to know Him. He wants so much to be one with us, that He sent His own Son to die for our sins, break the enmity between us with everlasting righteousness, and reconcile us to Himself.

Job readily admits that he knew of the Lord, but until he lost everything, he did not know Him:

"Then Job answered the LORD, and said,

"I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee.

"Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.

"Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.

"I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee." (Job 42: 1-5)

If nothing else, Job was forced to acknowledge that he was forever removed from God because of who he was:

"Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth." (Job 40:4)

He has nothing to stand on, all of his works come to nought. Now he can see the Lord, meet Him personally, receive Him as He is, not as someone whom Job has to work towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment