Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Truth About Job: Fearful, Not Faithful

Job did many good things and had many good things, but he lived in sin, nonetheless.

How is this apparent? He admits it readily:

"For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.

"I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; yet trouble came." (Job 3:25)

He was fearful, he was not restful; he knew no quiet; yet these qualities are the blessed reward for those in righteous standing before God.

God commands His people not to fear:

"After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward." (Genesis 15:1)

and

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." (Isaiah 41:10)

and also

"But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine." (Isaiah 43:1)

We are called to "fear not" to the extent that we know who God is and what he wants to do for us as His redeemed ones. Because Job did not know the Lord, His nature, or His redeeming power that He wished to enact on His behalf, Job lived in fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment