Monday, January 30, 2012

Reflection so on "My Utmost" January 30 Part II

Get into the habit of saying, "Speak, Lord," and life will become a romance. Every time circumstances press, say, "Speak, Lord"; make time to listen. Chastening is more than a means of discipline, it is meant to get me to the place of saying, "Speak, Lord." Recall the time when God did speak to you. Have you forgotten what He said? Was it Luke 11:13, or was it 1 Thess. 5:23? As we listen, our ear gets acute, and, like Jesus, we shall hear God all the time.

The Holy Spirit is always speaking to us.

It is true, though, without a doubt that the Holy Spirit will remind us of key scriptures:

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." (John 14: 26)

And

"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:" (John 15: 26)

He speaks to us -- we do not have to conjure or cajole Him to speak!

Chambers seems to draw the inspiration for this passage from the Old Testament. After Hannah gave her miracle son Samuel to serve in the temple of the Lord, the Lord spoke to Him:

"And ere the lamp of God went out in the temple of the LORD, where the ark of God was, and Samuel was laid down to sleep;

"That the LORD called Samuel: and he answered, Here am I.

"And he ran unto Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou calledst me. And he said, I called not; lie down again. And he went and lay down.

"And the LORD called yet again, Samuel. And Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And he answered, I called not, my son; lie down again.

"Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, neither was the word of the LORD yet revealed unto him.

"And the LORD called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the LORD had called the child.

"Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, LORD; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place." (1 Samuel 3 :3-9)

Now, in Samuel's day, there was no open vision -- the word of the Lord was precious.
However, that was in the days of the Old Covenant. Under the New Covenant, the Word of God came and dwelt among us:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

"The same was in the beginning with God.

"All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

"In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

"And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not." (John 1: 1-5)

Then:

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." (John 1:14)

Of course, for every believer Christ lives and dwells in us through the power of the Holy Spirit (cf Colossians 1:27; Galatians 4:19); and we dwell in Him, too (cf Ephesians 2:6; Colossians 3:3; 1 John 4:4)

He is always speaking, always making Himself known. Our job is to hearken diligently (cf Deuteronomy 11: 13; 28:1)!

Do not for one second assume that as we listen, nothing is happening. On the country, the Word of God is powerful and alive:

"So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it." (Isaiah 55:11)

and

"And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred." (Mark 4:20)

His word is already bearing fruit. The Lord is already speaking. Just let His word settle in your heart, and which His will take place, bear fruit, and nourish all.

No comments:

Post a Comment