Monday, January 30, 2012

Reflections on "My Utmost" January 29 Part II

Have I been persecuting Jesus by a zealous determination to serve Him in my own way? If I feel I have done my duty and yet have hurt Him in doing it, I may be sure it was not my duty, because it has not fostered the meek and quiet spirit, but the spirit of self-satisfaction. We imagine that whatever is unpleasant is our duty! Is that anything like the spirit of our Lord – "I delight to do Thy will, O My God."

Here is a major problem in Oswald Chambers' theology. We do not work for God, for we can bring nothing to Him. Like the Prodigal Son or like Cain after his confirmed conviction before the Lord, we bring nothing but our lack, our emptiness, our eternal sin debt.

Anything that we do, we do as a result of the gift of God's grace through the death of His Son, Jesus Christ, and the Promise which He has released through His Son -- The Holy Spirit (cf Acts 2)

Regarding the present and direct will of God, look no further than First Thessalonians:

"Rejoice evermore.

"Pray without ceasing.

"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18)

This is a result of the Holy Spirit living within us, guiding us as we dwell in the Kingdom of God, righteousness, peace, and joy in Him (cf Romans 14:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment