(Response to Ryan Reynolds is Wrong: The 80s Were Awesome, Man!)
Just read your article on the 80s at American Greatness, and as someone who grew up in Torrance and once worked at the Del Amo Fashion Square Mall in its heyday, I loved it!
I'm curious where you went to high school, and if your childhood was filled with summers along the strand from Torrance Beach to the Redondo Beach Pier.
After getting married in 1988, life permanently took me away from Torrance, first to Orange County, then San Diego County, and finally two decades in San Jose before being liberated by COVID to work permanently remote - we opted for Provo, Utah, where kids still play in the neighborhood streets like I did in the 70s and 80s.
I can't imagine ever returning to live in California, though pictures of my childhood beach will always evoke that eternal feeling of "home" when I see them. The rest, not so much!
I went to South, preceded by Calle Mayor Middle and Arnold
Elementary. It was a charmed childhood.
One thing I really miss about the Del Amo Mall is that my church used to rent out the entire mall on New Year's Eve for a dance and celebration, which went from Sears on one end all the way down to Montgomery Ward on the far side.
On either end and in the middle, there were live bands which played music from the 40s-50s(?) on one stage, the 50s-60s on another, and then contemporary 70s-80s on yet another. It was absolutely epic.
Unfortunately, the annual event ceased after rival Polynesian groups got into a
violent confrontation one year.
Tom W.

No comments:
Post a Comment