Monday, December 17, 2018

Assemblyman Al Muratsuchi: Please Recognize Boys' Day and Girls' Day

Dear Assemblyman Al Muratsuchi:

My name is Arthur Schaper, and I am one of your most active constituents. 

I am certain that you are very familiar with my concerns and efforts in your district.

I believe we have a chance to find common ground on a sound, very easy legislative idea.

Last session, you passed a bill which recognizes surfing as the official sport of the state of California.

I am also aware that you have introduced legislation to recognize the contributions of Japanese-Americans and Japanese culture in California. I am further aware that you are taking steps to draw attention to the civil rights violations which Americans of Japanese descent endured during World War II.



I would like to suggest another idea:

Following the tradition practice in Japan, the state of California should recognize:

1. Girls' Day, otherwise known as "Hinamatsuri" which would be commemorated on March 3rd, just like in Japan.

Here's more information about Girls' Day:

savvytokyo.com
One of the most beautiful Japanese holidays, Hinamatsuri is a day dedicated to girls and their families' hopes for a bright and happy future.


2. Boys' Day, otherwise known as "Tango no Sekku", which would be commemorated on May 5th, just like in Japan.

Here's more information about Boys' Day:

I think this a unique, welcome tradition, and we are very well aware of the contributions of Japanese-Americans to the state of California.

I would like to see comemmorations like this recognized in the state of California.

City councils and county boards could issue proclamations recognizing these two holidays, for example, although I would not suggest that any legislation, proclamations, or resolutions require the institution of state holidays to postpone government services and private businesses.

Please let me know what you think of this idea.

I hope that on this one issue, we can find a point of agreement.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Arthur Christopher Schaper

1 comment:

  1. Right here is the perfect webpage for anybody who hopes to find
    out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard
    to argue with you (not that I personally would want to…HaHa).

    You definitely put a fresh spin on a topic that has been written about for decades.

    Excellent stuff, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete