Sunday, September 2, 2012

Give Tenure to the First and Second Year Teachers

If any teachers need job protection, it would be the first and second year teachers, many of whom stress out because they are just beginning to learn the ropes, yet at the same time the face the most scrutiny from administration, who can fire them for any reason.

New teachers need support, support, support, not scrutiny without end.

The politics of the job have become so fraught and apparent, that students who know more about the school than the teachers can take advantage of new teachers. Parents can intimidate them, too.

"Is this your first year?" Some parents will snidely comment. This is an attack, one which school officials prepare for by making sure that first-year teachers never go into a conference alone.

I learned this lesson the hard way, when I was a student teacher at Dana Middle School. Parents can go on the attack very quickly, especially when they choose to believe their kids at the expense of the truth.

Teachers need protection, definitely the first and second year teachers. They need to know that they have the protection and the backing of the school, that they can make mistakes, that they can stand up to parents and not worry about losing their jobs.

I cannot remember how many conflicts I had to deal with, and the lingering upset at the back of my mind always informed me to be very careful. I felt that I had to look over my shoulder all the time, for fear that students could spread rumors, or that parents would take any one word and run to the principal to rat me out.

Give first and second year teachers iron-clad tenure, then ease up with visits and evaluations throughout the rest of their careers. Tenure of life is just not acceptable, but more protection in the beginning would go a long way toward helping teachers to work out all the kinks in their professional lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment