Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Rick Warren's Take on America's Spiritual Condition


"What is solvable is how we treat each other with our differences. As a Christian, I am commanded by Jesus Christ to love everybody. I am not allowed to hate anyone. Other people are allowed to hate me. But as a Christian, I am not allowed to hate anyone. In fact, the Bible tells me in I Peter, show respect to everyone, even people I totally disagree with." -- Lead Pastor Rick Warren, Saddleback.

If no other statement of the Gospel more indicates the spiritual problems in this country, it would be the staggering emphasis that Warren places on law, not on grace.

The law of God, from Genesis until the death of Christ on the Cross, demanded that we love God with all our being, and love our neighbor as ourselves.

Who indeed can love God with all one has? That is law. Joshua, the type of Christ that led the children of Israel out of the wilderness and into the Promised Land dismissed their self-confident self-righteousness:

"And Joshua said unto the people, Ye cannot serve the LORD: for he is an holy God; he is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins." (Joshua 24: 19)

Of course, Joshua uttered these words while still under the Old Covenant.

Jesus Christ, God in the Flesh, the Second Person of the Trinity, has come to serve and to save:

"For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many." (Mark 10: 45)

and

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3: 16)

When we draw from Him, He strengthens us:

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4: 13)

and

"But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." (1 Corinthians 15: 10)

So, we are called to grow in grace and knowledge of the Lord (2 Peter 3: 18), just as Mary did, sitting at Jesus' feet:

"And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word." (Luke 10: 39)

When Martha chided Mary and Jesus that her younger sister was not helping her, Jesus calmly replied:

"But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Luke 10: 42)

In this country, we need more of Christ Jesus in our lives, feeding us His Word, ministering to our souls, strengthening our hearts. Only then do we have the strength, the resolve, the wisdom to serve others. Let Christ serve you, and you will then be able to serve others.




No comments:

Post a Comment