Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Trying to Bear Fruit? You are Bearing Fruit Right Now

For a long time in my Christian walk, I wanted to make sure that I was obedient and productive. I often wondered if I was in the right place doing the right thing.

Then I finally understand the gracious freedom that every believer receives by the power of the Holy Spirit:

"This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh." (Galatians 5: 16)

How do I do that? By faith:

"But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith." (Galatians 3: 11)

Not by trying to do right do I fulfill the law. The righteous that man seeks but can never get through his own obedience, he must receive as a gift through the death of Jesus Christ:

"For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

"That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." (Romans 8: 3-4)

This righteousness is a gift (Romans 5: 17), one which transforms us completely, one in which we become one and inseparable with and in Christ:

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." (2 Corinthians 5: 21)

So, I am the righteousness of God in Christ! Therefore, I bear the fruits of righteousness:

"Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God." (Philippians 1: 11)

The fruit of righteousness, the works, are already in every believer:

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2: 10)

The source of this fruit of righteousness is above, not from us, but from God in us:

"For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.

"But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

"And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace." (James 3: 16-18)

Paul is more explicit about the origin of the fruit of righteousness in our life:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

"eekness, temperance: against such there is no law." (Galatians 5: 22-23)

Read closely, for Paul writes, "The fruit of the Spirit," not "The fruit of the believer", not "The fruit of our pastors or church leaders," not "the fruit which we must seek by our efforts."

Still not satisfied? Still convinced that there is a part which you must play? Jesus tells His believers what they must do:

"Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

"Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent." (John 6: 28-29)

and

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." (John 15: 4-5)

Abide in Him, rest in Him, for He work within us (Philippians 2: 12-13), for He is our peace (Ephesians 2: 14) and our glory (Colossians 1:27)

The Holy Spirit is bearing fruit in every believer. Only when we try in our own efforts to keep God;s law, not letting His life live within us, only then do we frustrate the fruit bearin in our life:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

"I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain." (Galatians 2: 20-21)

and later

"or I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

"Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace." (Galatians 5: 3-4)

Are you trying to bear fruit?If you are walking in the Spirit, living by faith in the conscious love of God for you (Ephesians 5: 8), then you are already bearing fruit, and His Spirit will quicken you through His peace in your heart what He wants you to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment