Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Algebra One Enrollment Declined in Torrance Unified -- Why?

Last week, I send the following public records request to Torrance Unified:

Dear Ms. Terrano:
 
I would like to the know the enrollment numbers for the number of students who were enrolled in Algebra I throughout Torrance Unified in from academic year 2010-2011 until academic year 2014-2015.
 
Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification on this request.
 
Thank you. 
I then added:
I need to add one more element to the FOIA request.
I want to know how many Algebra I students there were enrolled in Torrance during those years, and of those students how many were enrolled in Eighth grade or younger.
I received the following answer yesterday:
Mr. Schaper,
Per your California Public Records Request, please see the below numbers of students enrolled in Algebra I in TUSD for the corresponding years..
Sincerely,
Tim Stowe, Ed. D.
Chief Academic Officer




School Year
 Student Count 
 MS Student Count 
HS Student Count
2014-2015
               2,003
                     1,070
                      933
2013-2014
               2,871
                     1,812
                   1,059
2012-2013
               3,046
                     1,872
                   1,174
2011-2012
               3,003
                     1,863
                   1,140
2010-2011
               3,040
                     1,832
                   1,208
There is a marked drop in the number of students enrolled in Algebra One in middle school from the 2013-2014 year to last year.

Common Core was introduced to Torrance Unified in 2012.



During the October 26th,, 2015 Torrance School Board meeting, I shared with the board my concerns that Common Core curriculum was going to remove student opportunities to take higher math earlier in their academic careers. If students do not take Algebra I in eighth grade, they will not be on track for Calculcus by their senior year in high school, and will find themselves at a competitive disadvantage for college.

This disconcerting trend needs more exposure. It appears that my and other residents' concerns about Common Core are well-founded. 

2 comments:

  1. They have to retake the class once they get to El Camino even if you got an A+. Many concepts are not taught at the HS level probably not on the test!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very disturbing numbers. Would be interesting to find a math teacher who was willing to speak off the record about this.

    ReplyDelete