Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Calling for Speaker Votes (Will Gowdy Make it?)

For the past two days, I have been calling different House reps, telling them to support Rep. Louie Gohmert for Speaker of the House.


Rep Louie Gohmert (R-TX), challenging
John Boehner for Speaker
First, I contacted the Congressmen who voted for another speaker two years ago, just after the Fiscal Cliff fiasco.

Then I thought of the most conservative members who had challenged leadership in the past, including Raul Labrador of Idaho and Mick Mulvaney of South Carolina.

Then I looked up lists on line of the most conservative House Reps, provided by National Journal.

After that, news reports trickled in throughout the day of more legislators who refused to support Boehner in today's vote.

I really believe that if more people vote, if more people raise their concerns by calling in or writing, then individual votes, and concerned interest groups can transition from

#MakeDCListen

to

#MakingDCListen

This morning,  I contacted Congressman Trey Gowdy (R-SC) at his Washington DC office. I consider him not only a reliably conservative vote, but a skillful leader who recognizes political realities as well as principled possibilities.

The staffer informed me that the Congressman was not in the Capitol. He was flying into the Capitol, but there are snowstorms along the East Cost which are preventing easy travel from home states to Washington DC.

More than in the past, I understand the physical challenges which face lawmakers, especially our California representatives. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) had to charter a private jet just to make key votes when he was far away on his second abortive Presidential bid.

Congressman Trey Gowdy

I hope that Congressman Gowdy makes it to Washington today and votes for Louie Gohmert as the House Speaker for the 114th Congress.

No comments:

Post a Comment