Friday, June 28, 2013

The Law that Abraham Believed -- Let God Bless You!

"1And there was a famine in the land, beside the first famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went unto Abimelech king of the Philistines unto Gerar. 2And the LORD appeared unto him, and said, Go not down into Egypt; dwell in the land which I shall tell thee of: 3Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father; 4And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; 5Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws." (Genesis 26: 1-5)

God blessed Isaac because his Father Abraham obeyed God in all things.

What a wonderful picture of Jesus, our high priest, who has obeyed all things for us, has fulfilled the law (Matthew 5: 17), that we may enjoy all things with Him and through Him.

In these verses, the mention that Abraham followed God's law was very intriguing.

At the time of this account, there were no Ten Commandments.

So, what law, what statutes was God talking about?

Let's see what the LORD God first said to Abram, before he was blessed with a new name:

"
1Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

2And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

3And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed." (Genesis 12: 1-3)
 
In a word, God's command was "Trust me, and let me bless you, and through you let me bless the whole world!"
 
Then:
 
"14And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: 15For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever. 16And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered. 17Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee. 18Then Abram removed his tent, and came and dwelt in the plain of Mamre, which is in Hebron, and built there an altar unto the LORD." (Genesis 13: 14-18)
 
In a word, God said: "I will bless you so much, you will not be able to count it!"
 
As far as God's commands are concerned, He is all about blessing us! He wants us to consent to be blessed!
 
In the same manner, yet much more, let us look to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of Faith (Hebrews 12: 2) and the seed of Abraham through whom we are blessed, and let Him save us not just from death in our trespasses, but in every area of our lives!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment