Thursday, May 23, 2013

Even When We Err, God Blesses Us Part V

After David was reminded of his oath, after Nathan the prophet also confirmed what Bath-Sheba had shared with him, then David said:

"28Then king David answered and said, Call me Bathsheba. And she came into the king's presence, and stood before the king. 29And the king sware, and said, As the LORD liveth, that hath redeemed my soul out of all distress, 30Even as I sware unto thee by the LORD God of Israel, saying, Assuredly Solomon thy son shall reign after me, and he shall sit upon my throne in my stead; even so will I certainly do this day. 31Then Bathsheba bowed with her face to the earth, and did reverence to the king, and said, Let my lord king David live for ever." (1 Kings 1: 28-31)

David remembered that God had brought Him out of all distress.

"Distress" is first mentioned in Genesis:

"And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went." (Genesis 35: 3)

Jacob utters this word after his two sons Simeon and Levi have slaughtered an entire village, because one of the men had raped their sister Dinah.

Jacob was not supposed to reside in that place in the first place, yet as soon as Jacob returned to seek the Lord, the God of Beth-El, he was protected from any future assaults against him.

God will always call to remembrance what He has done for us, which brings us out of all trouble.  For this blessed cause Paul writes:

"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: 4(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;" (2 Corinthians 10: 3-5)

Christ and Him Crucified, our Giver and His Crucifixion, the Place where God's oath was confirmed for us.

Abishag represents the wandering that we will fall into when we are cold and do not recall God's love.

Paul wrote this prayer of hope to every believer the following:

"14For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; 17That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 18May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God." (Ephesians 3:  14-19)




No comments:

Post a Comment