Friday, April 26, 2013

"Keep Trying" is Precisely Why God Cannot

The greatest hindrance for men and women in the Body of Christ is the very men and women themselves. Advice like "You have to take the first step" or  "Just Keep Going!" has kept people in bondage, looking at themselves instead of resting and receiving the Life that is Christ Jesus living in us.

Another way that people frame this problem includes statements like "We have to get out of the way", or "We have to give up the driver's seat and let God drive us."

Of course, I would hear this advice frequently from pastors, teachers, and even my own parents, but it never made any sense to me.

What was I supposed to do, exactly? Just sit on my but and wait for things to happen to me?
Their sincere effort to live the Christian life is frustrating the Life of Christ from living through them.

Most believers are overcompensating for the power which already is flowing in us:

"But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." (1 Corinthians 15: 10)

and

"12Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure." (Philippians 2: 12-13)

and

"27To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: 28Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: 29Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily." (Colossians 1: 27-29)

Paul does not relent from stressing the primacy of Christ living in us:

"1If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory." (Colossians 3: 1-4)

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2: 10)

John presents this point even further in his First Epistle:

"9In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him." (1 JOhn 4: 9)

Then he writes:

"19We love him, because he first loved us." (1 John 4: 19)

Instead of "keep trying", which leads to men and women doing the same things over and over, and thus getting burned out like "cumbered" Martha (Luke 10: 38-42), let us receive Jesus' invitation:

"28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11: 28)

The issue is not about our doing more, but our believing more and seeing more of Jesus at work in our lives:

"But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen." (2 Peter 3: 18)

It;s his grace that defines, that drives us, that determines us (1 Corinthians 15: 10), and as we grow in him, we find it easy to reckon ourselves dead to sin, shame, and condemnation and then allow Jesus to live in us (Romans 6: 11).

"Keep Trying" leads us to fall from grace:

"4Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace." (Galatians 5: 4)

Instead of "keep trying", men and women in the Body of Christ need to meet Jesus more in the Word, cease from their own efforts, and rest in Him:

"Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief." (Hebrews 4: 11)

Not "trying" but "trusting" -- that;s what it's all about for the child of God in Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment