Saturday, December 2, 2017

Trump Supporter: Observations on Kate Steinle Trial

Dear Friends,

The Steinle murder trial verdict has been a very big shock for me and I know it has been to many activists, and perhaps it was for you also.

I'm wondering if the verdict wasn't a shock for those that are highly seasoned political watchers who better understand life and attitudes in the San Francisco area.

From what I have gathered in the news, it seems, the Steinle family was  actually a bit lukewarm on ending sanctuary cities and building a southern border wall. 
 
The Steinle family has a right to their views, and I truly appreciate that everyone needs to deal with the death / murder of a family member in their own way.  

Perhaps the Steinle family didn't appreciate being thrusted into this national debate of sanctuary cities and illegal immigration, but unfortunately bad luck chose them.

I didn't follow the Steinle family closely, but since I follow immigration news closely I have grazed upon some of  their statements.




The Steinles have a decidedly nuanced view on sanctuary cities. They support the concept (of sanctuary law) as a way to encourage immigrants, regardless of legal status, to come forward as victims or witnesses to crimes without fear of deportation. Yet they believe San Francisco went too far when then-Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi effectively ordered his department to cut off communication with federal immigration authorities.

Earlier in 2015 Kate's Brother Brad gave an interview, stating that Donald Trump was "sensationalizing sister's death", and that:  "Steinle called Trump's immigration policies -- which include building a fence along the U.S.-Mexico border, "not rational" and "not common sense."

I really don't want to criticize the Steinle family, they didn't choose their life to follow this course.  Perhaps they were once enthusiastic liberal Democrats who had little to no interest in the topic of illegal immigration, and now because of what has happened their view's on illegal immigration are a bit more "nuanced".  

Everyone has a right to handle personal tragedy in their own way, and I respect that.

I am still angered by the Jury's decision, but I am comforted by the fact that their decision will wake many people up, and this will ultimately strengthen our cause.

Regards,
Greg Aprahamian

No comments:

Post a Comment