Thursday, December 1, 2011

Reflections on "My Utmost" December 1

Whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all —James 2:10

The moral law does not consider our weaknesses as human beings; in fact, it does not take into account our heredity or infirmities. It simply demands that we be absolutely moral.

The Law is unbending and inflexible.

Yet the veil on the eyes of man convinces him that if he tries hard enough, does good enough, then he can achieve the standard set by the Law -- and yes, people will like him, too.

I used to live my life that way.

I kept telling myself -- today, I am good to get it right, I am not going to make any mistakes.

Yet in my effort, I was disqualifying myself from God's grace:

"But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith." (Galatians 3:11)

Paul then follows this with a stern caution to the same audience:

"Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace." (Galatians 5:4)

Let this be a calm guard to anyone's heart, to anyone -- myself included -- that would attempt to make the best of one's place in the world by obedience to the law.

We cannot do it!

And by the grace of God, we no longer have to!

No comments:

Post a Comment