Friday, May 9, 2014

Torrance City Council Race: Dr. Rahmat Khan

Dr. Rahmat Khan
Just for added interest, I reached out to this candidate, whose signs I have seen all over the city of Torrance, even though I found that his comments at the North Torrance Homeowners Association was not all that inspiring.

Dr. Rahmat Khan was willing to answer my seven questions.

Here are his answers:


1. Why are you running for city council this year? Did you ever plan on running for office before?

I'm running for the City Council to bring innovative and real-world solutions to Torrance. My experience in business and our community will ensure Torrance remains the best city to raise families and do business.

>> This is my first time running for office, and my sole motivation is to help the city and its citizen. For example, in 2005, I built my first living care facility for U.S. Veterans. In 2009 I opened my second facility in Torrance, at the request of the Department of Veterans Affairs.  I look forward to continuing my service to our citizens by serving them on the City Council.
 
A candidate who cares about veterans -- I have on qualms about that. I wonder what his thoughts are on the current Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Erik Shinseki, who is under fire for running a VA administration fraught with incompetence and misconduct. One report exposed forty veteran deaths in one facility. The treatment of our armed forces requires the best treatment, and the Obama Administration's callous indifference to our veterans is disconcerting.

 
2.  What is your political party affiliation? Why?

 I have been supported by the Democrat Party; however, my vision and platform tailors to all parties.  For instance, my underlying message is POLITE:
- Public Safety
- Opportunity
- Leadership
- Innovation
- Transparency

- Education
 
I have shared before that I am not inclined to vote for a Democratic candidate precisely because the Democratic union machine is too strong for individual candidates to push against. I looked over Dr. Khan's endorsements, which included:
 
Honorable Alex Padilla, State Senator, 20th District
 
Honorable Ami Bera, House of Representative, 7th District
 
Honorable Betsy Butler, Candidate 26th State Senate  I called out former Assemblymember Butler for voting abstain against a bill which would have removed abusive teachers from the classroom faster. She was taking union donations then, and I am certain not to vote for her when she runs for state senate district 26 this year.
 
Honorable Eric Garcetti, Mayor of Los Angeles -- I was intrigued that The Mayor of Los Angeles endorsed Dr. Khan. Garcetti recognizes the importance of businesses to a thriving city: "It should not be easier to get a meeting with the Governor of Texas than the mayor of Los Angeles."  
 
Honorable Janice Hahn, House of Representative, 44th District -- Janice Hahn was my Congresswoman briefly, and I did not vote for her. I did not approve of her campaign tactics, and recently I criticized her outrageous behavior during the National Day of Prayer. She is a very liberal Democrat who says that she supports small businesses, yet at the same time she is a vocal supporter of Obamacare, which is killing jobs and hurting businesses.
 
Honorable John Chiang, State Controller
 
Honorable John Perez, State Assembly Speaker  This Assembly Speaker is one of the chief reasons why the state of California is losing wealth, jobs, and people. The political intrigue connected with this candidate should dissuade anyone from voting for a candidate endorsed by him.
 
Torrance Democratic Party -- I will never forget learning that friends of mine were not permitted to attend a public forum hosted by the Torrance Democratic Club, with special guest Henry Waxman.

Despite my deep disagreements with every person who has endorsed his candidacy, I will be POLITE enough to consider the rest of Dr. Khan's answers.

These values underline my campaign, my belief, and how I will lead Torrance on the City Council.

3. Tell us about your prior professional/political experience and how they can help the City of Torrance?

I have a many examples which highlights my professional as well as political experience.  A notable example is the Los Angeles Cricket Association where I serve as its Founder and Chairman.  A few months ago, many of our youths were not able to play cricket in the Torrance area.  After working with our then City Council members, I was able to obtain permission to allow this sport to partake in our city.  In addition, I have lots of support from local, regional, and state political leaders who I plan to work with once I'm elected on the City Council.  Hence, I bring a wealth of knowledge, experience, courage, and a large network of support to the job.
 
Dr. Khan started a cricket club in Torrance. Interesting -- but relevant?

4. What measures, reforms, and policies would you implement on a city level to bring in more business and increase economic activity in the City of Torrance.

I think we need to support small business that provides jobs to our local residents, revenues to our city, and helps maintain the "balance" pride.  As a result, I would make our city more responsive to the needs of our small businesses.  In addition, we need to improve and repair our infrastructure which attracts businesses and population to our city.  Lastly, keep in mind, I personally own 2 businesses in the city.  So I know first hand what we need to do in order to make Torrance business friendly.
 
A business-friendly Democrat? We need more of them, but a Democrat endorsed by some of the most anti-business politicians in the state does not strengthen my belief that he can deliver
 

5. What concerns do you have about crime and public safety in Torrance.

The first element in my value proposition is "P" which stands for Public Safety.  I strongly believe that we need to keep our city safe for our business, residents, and children.  I will work very hard with our local police and fire departments to ensure that we DO NOT compromise on public safety.  Torrance prides in having the safest city in the country, and I will uphold that pride.

6. There are growing revelations about the city's massive pension liabilities -- $400 million, an online reports confirm that at least 600 city employees out of 200 are earning at least $100,000 a year in total compensation (per 2012 data). What reforms or steps do you support to deal with these massive pension liabilities?

 I think that the city needs to address the pension issue.  The next council needs to really look at this issue and start making some tough decisions on how to reduce this liability.  Some of the things we can do is to streamline operations and becoming more efficient in our operations.  Second, we need to focus on generating more revenues by encouraging small businesses to grow in our city.  Third, we need ask more from our current employees to help contribute in order to reduce this liability.  By taking these steps, we can reverse the pension problem.
 
Wow! I had to read this statement a second time:
 
Third, we need [to] ask more from our current employees to help contribute in order to reduce this liability.
 
Every candidate for city council needs to state this mantra loudly and clearly. I agree with this sentiment, yet at the same time, I saw a picture of Dr. Khan with Pat "pension envy" Furey, who is also a Democrat.


7. How have residents and prospective voters responded to your campaign?  
 
  I'm extremely satisfied with my campaign.  Thus far, I've received support from many residents, small business owners, local communities, and government officials (local, regional and state).  So I think this will be a great election and I look forward to serving the city in a couple months.


I agree with some of the sentiments shared by Dr. Khan, and I approve that he was honest enough to declare that current employees need to contribute more toward their pensions. Mayoral candidate Tom Brewer supports requiring all city employees contribute the same amount which he pays in -- 9%.

Perhaps it should be more, since future Torrance residents and businesses should not be on the hook for paying current retirees, or the unintended consequences of drastic cuts in services and infrastructure to pay for these obligations.

I will not be supporting Dr. Rahmat Khan for City Council,  but I do support his argument that current employees need to pay more toward their retirement in order to head off the impending fiscal fallouts of unfunded liabilities in the city of Torrance.

3 comments:

  1. Art, I'm beginning to think you are a are a narcissist, buddy! Who cares what you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "union machine"? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) Dr. Khan is not really endorsed by those people. He considers it an endorsement when he gets to be in the same room with somebody. Then magically they have endorsed him. Contact the electeds to find out the truth.

    2) When did you see a picture of Khan with Pat Furey? I'm sure Pat would be pretty embarrassed to be pictured with a joke like Rahmat Khan. I'm pretty sure you just made that up because you hate Pat Furey and what him to be painted with a dirty brush.

    You are a Tom Brewer supporter - meaning you support lies of reform hidden behind the truth of inaction.

    ReplyDelete