Monday, September 19, 2011

Everyone can be like Charlie Sheen . . . If you believe

"Once again I have come out unscathed."

"You can't hurt me. Hell, even I can't hurt me."

"I'm the kind of guy who thrives on chaos,"

"Here beats an eternal flame."

"Winning!"

Charlie Sheen, in usual bombastic, if not megalomaniac form (more likely Moammar Gadhafi) crows in triumph at the latest Comedy Central Roast, this time thrown in his honor.

In the wake of his failed marriage and dismissal from popular TV show "Two and a Half Men," he looked better. His confident tone, however, belied a still-very troubled life whose career in entertainment is on the rocks.

Yet the confidence exuded by this man can be claimed by anyone who is willing . . .to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Rather than delapidating into crass self-promotion, every man can proclaim the same victory in his life, through Christ:

"Once again I have come out unscathed."

"[The King of Babylon] answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God." (Daniel 3:25)

"You can't hurt me."

"No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD." (Isaiah 54:17)

"Hell, even I can't hurt me."

"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." (Matthew 16:18)

"I'm the kind of guy who thrives on chaos."

"Cast all your care on him; for he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

"And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst." (Luke 23:44-45)

"Here beats an eternal flame."

"He [Jesus] shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire" (Luke 3:16)

"Winning!"

"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." (John 19:30)

"And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." (Revelation 21:16)

Like Charlie Sheen, we can boldly shout "Winning!", yet not because of our efforts; but because of what Jesus did for us at the Cross:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (Jon 3:16)

"Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us." (Romans 8:37)

"And [God] hath raised us up together and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus." (Ephesians 2:6)

"Ye are of God little children and have overcome them because greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world (1 John 4:4)

"By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world. " (1 John 4:17)

"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. " (1 John 5:4)

Unlike Charlie Sheen, we do not have to strive and strain for this victory, but receive it by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8)

Now that's real "Winning!"

No comments:

Post a Comment