Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Reflection on Hawthorne, California

The more that I visit Hawthorne, the more things I find to enjoy.

I love going to Hollyglen, especially the quaint Wiseburn library. It feels very welcoming and cozy there.

A few days ago, I ate out near Imperial Avenue and Hawthorne Blvd. I ran into some visitors from Denmark, then I took a nice stroll down the street. It was night outside, but I felt safe, and I may come back.

I feel sad, though, when reading about people who prize the city primarily because of the Beach Boys, a band which has disbanded, despite the wealth of wonderful tunes they produced for the world.

It seems to me like a great, and sad, disconnect, when one constituency of a community is hearkening back to the good times that used to be, while the younger generation does not have anything to connect to in the city.

This growing disconnect between the older minority of long-time residents and a growing majority of minority citizens deserves to come together. If only there were a way to establish common ground, not just celebrating the unique legacy of the city’s past, but also promoting the current diversity and opportunities to be found in Hawthorne, from Hollyglen to the Northside.

No comments:

Post a Comment