Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tim Goodrich: "I Don't Want You To Look Foolish."

I am republishing this part of my previous post on the January 27th, 2015 City Council Meeting:

At that time [during the Council's first recess], I was surprised that Councilmember Tim Goodrich approached me. He told me that he had read my post about the Community Choice Aggregation agenda item, 12B, then told me that it would not be wise to share my concerns about project.

"I don't want you to look foolish", Goodrich said to me, because I was talking about something that I may not understand. I responded to him that I am entitled to say what I want to about.


Tim Goodrich

After a second recess, Goodrich approached me, so that we could discuss this matter further.

One of the most frustrating aspects about the progressive world view, one which Mr. Goodrich espouses, rests on the argument that if Government creates a organization or a business, then offers a service in contrast to a private company, that consumers have a choice. Such is the case with the arguments for Community Choice Aggregation. Government agencies do not operate fully according to market forces, because their funding comes from taxes, not from free trade. Private firms must compete for business and profit. In California, SoCal residents get electricity from one provider, SoCal Edison. Proving customers a choice is a welcome idea, but not through the aggregated control of different cities entering into a complicated, potentially dysfunctional joint-powers agreement.

I reminded Goodrich that there is nothing foolish about members of the city sharing their concerns with the city council and Torrance residents. Rather than being offended, I was grateful that the councilmember approached me, because I could express my thoughts, and prepare my remarks for the entire city council.

Here is a link with a long list of information about CCA, including its critics and its costs.

I am reposing this exchange which took place between me and the Councilmember.

After I shared the Jan. 27 post about the City Council meeting, one reader responded:

"This is EXTREMELY disturbing Arthur Christopher Schaper - that a city councilman would approach a citizen to try and shut down the discussion. EXTREMELY disturbing. I can't say it enough."

Her next comment mocked the pretense of the councilmember's comment:

"In other words, you are too stupid to do your own research, you have no idea what you are talking about, it's only because you aren't smart enough to understand it. That's big government's approach to squash the dissent."

I invite anyone reading this post to share their concerns with the City Council.

I am happy to report that Mayor Pat Furey sat down with me yesterday (January 28) for an hour over breakfast, and listened to a number of my concerns. Other members of the city council, including Mike Griffiths, Geoff Rizzo, Heidi Ashcraft, and Kurt Weideman have meet with me to discuss city matters. They have answered a number of my questions. They may not agree with every point I share, but we have respected each other's differences of opinion none the less.

Contact Councilman Goodrich, and tell him to respect the opinions of all city residents, whether they agree or  disagree with his policies.

3031 Torrance Blvd., Torrance, Calif. 90503
Phone: (310) 618-2801
Fax: (310) 618-5841

Email: tgoodrich@torranceca.gov

No comments:

Post a Comment