Saturday, December 8, 2012

It's OK to be Dependent: God Can Only Use Dependent People

Like a growing number of children in this generation, I had indulgent parents. My mother was worse, she was both domineering and indulgent. If I did anything, she needed to know about it and she would then counsel me what to do next.

Pretty soon, this developed into a nasty habit in which I often asked myself "What would she do?"
This abuse of power cripples children worse than beating them or shaming them. A parent who often dives in to save and steer one's children will find that they become more dependent on them. For this reason, I believe, many young people fear stepping out into the world, having no idea what may befall them.

Thank God for the grace of God, for his unmerited, undeserved, unending favor in our lives.

For a short time, I became very bitter toward my mother. She had so abused me, so rendered me dependent on her opinion, that I never trusted myself to do anything, to go anywhere.

She has turned me into a "happy slave," kept me so dependent that I when I was supposed to strike out into the world, I had no sense of need or desire to do anything. For so long, someone else had been telling me what to do, what to see, what to watch, and thus the sense of well-being was forever wrapped up in what someone else thought of me.

There is now no condemnation in Christ Jesus, and the condemnation which men and women seek to throw on us can only dissolve in the presence of the Blood and the Righteousness of God the Son.

I became very resentful, afflicted even, that my own mother had kept me in bondage so that she would have someone in her life.

Then I received this revelation from God the Father:

"It's OK to be dependent on Him -- He can only work through people who are dependent and allow His Spirit to lead them. His Spirit starts out by reminding us evermore that we are righteous, and in Christ we have received an everlasting righteousness which we cannot lose, which depends not one what we think or feel or even what we see, but which depends on all that Christ Jesus has done.

I have had good training at being dependent, but on the wrong people. To be dependent on "The Person" of Jesus Christ is the greatest life ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment