Tuesday, March 30, 2021

How I Became 100% Pro-Life



A year ago, I sparked an incredible discussion on Facebook. I asked people about the abortion issue, re: are you pro-choice or pro-life.

I was surprised by the number of people who were not only pro-life, but who did not even recognize the option for abortion in the cases of rape or incest. For some people, they did not support abortion even if the life of the mother was in jeopardy!

I was really surprised by those remarks.

Earlier on, I was having dinner with a veteran who lived in Santa Clarita, California. The issue of abortion came up during our discussion. I told him that I was pro-life, but that I supported abortion in cases of rape, incest, or the life of the mother.

The veteran responded: "It's not the baby's fault if she was conceived in rape."

I countered, "Sure, but it's not the mother's fault, either."

The discussion on that issue stopped there.

Little by little, I encountered people who also shared that they opposed abortion, even in the cases of rape and incest. This did cause me to rethink my views on the matter.

A few months ago, I found the testimony of a prophet and evangelic speaker named Andre Ashby on YouTube. I was looking him up because I remembered that he had prophesied over me in a church meeting in Torrance, CA in 1996. I was just thinking about the great words that he had spoken over me, and I wanted to see if he was still active in ministry. I watched his video testimony, and I learned that he had been conceived in rape! 

Wow! That really caused this whole issue to hit home for me. I was now personally impacted, blessed by someone who had been brought into this world, and who had been a blessing in this world, but was born to parents in which the father had raped his mother. Unbelievable!

With that personal implication, I realized that I simply could not support abortion because a mother had been raped. A child is a child is a child, and he deserves to live, even if how he was conceived was due to great harm and sin.

It's not the kid's fault, just as that veteran had told me.

Later on, I listened to the testimonies of two women, one who had gotten an abortion after she was raped, and one who chose not to abort her child after she was raped. The testimony of the woman who had gotten the abortion announced that the loss of her child was like getting raped a second time.

What a horrific thought! It had never occured to me how fundamentally intrusive and abusive an abortion procedure is for a mother. For me, the issue about abortion had focused on the needs of the mother, not just the child. Relying on that metric, I saw a perfectly justifiable reason for opposition abortion in the cases of rape and incest.

Finally, I spoke with another pro-life activist on this matter, and he made it crystal clear for me:

"Abortion is murder. If you do not support murder, then you cannot support abortion. It's as simple as that."

And with that, I became 100% pro-life, an abortion abolitionist.



No comments:

Post a Comment