Thursday, October 24, 2013

Jeff Jacoby's Joy is Mine, Too!

Boston Globe Conservative Columnist acknowledged that after the Reagan Administration, there was never a Republican Presidential candidate whom he really supported, and he was never really sad if the Republican candidate lost the election, and he never felt really enthusiastic if the Republican candidate did win.

I share his calm now, I respect his comfort, and I enjoy his joy.

I know what I believe, I understand the proper scope, the enumerated role of the federal government in our lives.

Romney lost in 2012, but he was not much of a winner to begin with.

I had a great time writing about him, and stumping for him to win.

Was I sad that he lost? Sure.

Am I going to stay sad? Of course not! The grace and peace in my life have nothing, absolutely nothing to do with who sits in the White House or the statehouse.

Free-market economist Milton Friedman reminded me what politics is really all about:

Get the wrong people to do the right things. Gracnted, it's good to get the right people in office. It's even better when you can work with the people in office and get them to do the right things. It's all about the final outcome.

The Republican Party does not have to be in office, necessarily, in order to effect the Republican policies that voters want to see. A liberal government in Canada effected more cost-cutting in the 1990's than the current conservative government under Stephen Harper. Bill Clinton enacted and enforced a line-item veto for two years (until the Supreme Court struck down the provision) -- Of course, it was a Republican Congress that forced him to cut the spending, reform welfare, and limit foreign interventions.

It's time to push for the policies that we want to see in our communities, no matter who is in office.

In the  mean time, I can write what I believe, with or without advocating for a specific person or group.

That works for me, and it's a lot more fun, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment