Thursday, May 30, 2013

Behold the Son -- He Lost It All That You May Receive It All

3Reuben, thou art my firstborn, my might, and the beginning of my strength, the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power:
4Unstable as water, thou shalt not excel; because thou wentest up to thy father's bed; then defiledst thou it: he went up to my couch." (Genesis 49: 3-4)

Throughout the Old Testament, one prominent type reduces the firstborn at the expense of a younger child.

Cain was born first, but Abel offered the righteous sacrifice.

Ishmael was Abraham's first on, but Isaac the younger was the child of promise.

Ephraim the younger brother received the right hand blessing, instead of Joseph's elder son Manasseh.

Gideon was the youngest child in the lowest house in the least tribe of Israel.

Jacob I loved, but Easu I hated, so write Malachi.

Returning to Reuben, we Behold the Son losing his first-born blessings.

This is a type of Jesus, who became sin, that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him (2 Corinthians 5: 21)




No comments:

Post a Comment