Saturday, October 8, 2011

Taking Thought -- A Work Not Worth Taking

"Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on." (Matthew 6:25)

"Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?" (Matthew 6:31)

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow." (Matthew 6:34)

Taking thought is a work, one that causes us to fall from grace. We may not be striving physically, but to do so in our minds is also a work, once which frustrates the grace of God:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

"I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain." (Galatians 2:20-21)

The grace of God cannot work in us if we insist on working for everything ourselves, or even attempting to work things out in our minds:

"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

"For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure." 9Philippians 2:12-13)

If God wants to do the work, then let Him. Do not try to figure out what He is up to. Any speculation beyond the faith in Finished Work (to which every other thought must be taken captive, cf. 2 Corinthians 10:5), will come to evil, working the will of flesh instead of bearing the fruit of the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment