Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Torrance City Council Meeting, October 2, 2018: Big Victories



At the October 2, 2018 Torrance City Council Meeting, I wanted to speak on two issues:

1. The city council recommendations on key propositions.

2. Public comment, to address the city council taking a stand against SB 54, especially in light of the Huntington Beach victory in Orange County Superior Court.

Two of the Brown Supremacists showed up to try to cause trouble, but they were just added entertainment. I was informed that a police officer on site as well as the sergeant at arms were keeping an eye on all disturbances.



Everything worked out just fine for me.

What was really gratifying about this meeting was that I showed up to speak out on certain issues, and the conservative majority overruled the city staff and the liberal mayor and his colleague Tim Goodrich.

The Legislative Committee opposed Prop 6, for example. The committee is composed of

1. Mayor Pat Furey
2. Councilman Tim Goodrich
3. Councilman Milton Herring

The committee voted 2-1 against the repeal of the gas tax.

Milton Herring explained at length his opposition to this measure, as did Mike Griffiths.

I gave a full statement against this terrible gas tax, and I not just fully supported the repeal of the tax, I even brought out the Yes on 6 sign.

The city staff Oppose Prop 6, but Councilman Mattucci moved, and Herring seconded the motion to SUPPORT Prop 6.



Councilman Rizzo joined the four conservatives and voted to Support Prop 6!

The best turnaround occured with Prop 3, which wants to bring in another water bond. The argument from the city staff is that the city gets all the state tax money.

But the costs fall long-term onto everyone, and there is no guarantee that Torrance will get the requisite funds needed to secure full funding for all projects. I was the only member of the audience to speak against Prop 3.

My arguments were well taken, and the motion to support Prop 3 failed 4-3.

YES!

Later on, Mike Griffiths revisited the issue and submitted a separate motion for the city of Torrance to oppose Prop 3.

That passed! BAM!

I believe that my statement against that terrible measure made the difference.

For the first time in a long time, I feel that I have power, I have influence on that city council.

Mayor Pat Furey may preside over the meeting, but he does not have the votes for his agenda any more. The city of Torrance is becoming more conservative, not just more Republican.



I am so glad to live here, and I have no intention of leaving at all!

There are five Republicans, and at least four conservatives willing to cast their votes against the grain and do what is best of the city, responding to the concerns of down-to-earth citizens rather than running to sit at the "kool kidz' table"--which isn't really all that cool to begin with.

This is great. I am so glad to see the city council charting an independent course, rather than doing what the staff tell them to do.

I can't wait to see this city council take a firm stance against the pension debt and liabilities eating up the budget.



We need the city to take a firm stance against SB 54 and comply with all federal immigration laws. We need to restore Second Amendment protections to Torrance citizens. Our police department needs support ... and discipline.

I would also like to see a city council which takes a more active role in challenging Sacramento's decrepit, corrupt overreach.

This past meeting, I saw some incredible victories, and I was glad to be a big part of it!

Here's the main video with the city council discussion on the propositions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dXMfUH-F2I

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for finally talking about >"Torrance City Council Meeting, October 2, 2018: Big Victories" <Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fascinating discussion is worth comment. There's no
    doubt that that you should write more on this subject matter, it might
    not be a taboo matter but typically people don't speak about such issues.
    To the next! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete