Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Regarding Appointment to District Four to Replace Sharon Kalani



Dear Torrance City Council:

These twelve candidates have filed to replace Sharon Kalani as councilmember for District Four:


I understand that there is a different temperament and vision from previous members on the city council, but regardless of political leanings or affiliations, Adam Schwartz is not an acceptable choice.

He has routinely targeted, smeared, and defamed other Torrance residents for sharing political views opposite of his own.

Here's a sample of his public bigotry:



The Torrance City Council must have members who are willing to listen to constituents, even those with whom they may share deep ideological disagreements. Councilwoman Bridgett Lewis, my representative, is a great example of this necessary trait. Mr. Schwartz insults people, calls them ignorant, or even defames them as "NAZI." Such conduct is unbecoming of a city councilmember.

He also supports automated camera ticketing schemes. That is an automatic disqualification.

Rick Marshall is the best choice for the seat. He has extensive experience as a commissioner in various capacities, including on the Water, Planning, and Airport Commissions. He keeps up with the supplemental materials for city council agenda items, and he listens to people who disagree with him. He has endorsed political candidates from both parties when it comes to local matters. He also has a sound knowledge of governing rules of order.

He also opposes the automated cameras and testified in person against them at the June 1, 2026 traffic commission.

If that candidate is not acceptable to you, I would advise appointing Linda Barnett, since she has served the city as a Treasurer and her role with the Torrance Community Credit Union. She's the husband of Gene Barnett, and I never found him to be anything but a decent city councilman, so I know that his prior experience can assist her with finishing the term.

Mr. Han is a good man, but I do not want to see more school board members leaving their current position.

Mr. Sutherland has served many times already. I have not found him to be transparent in his reasons for voting for or against agenda items and city council proposals. I propose bringing in someone else.

For the record, and this follows from my conversation with Mayor Kalani two weeks ago, the city council must make a proactive effort to restore the full rights of the people in the city to elect their representatives. This appointment process is contentious, political, and fundamentally unfair. I understand that standalone special elections would cost the city a considerable amount, but our voting franchise as citizens is worth that cost, since men and women died on fields of battle to ensure our freedoms.

Barring that consideration, I urge the city council to advance a charter amendment to move all city elections to March, which in turn would permit voters to elect replacement councilmembers in the event of a promotion to another office.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Arthur Schaper

No comments:

Post a Comment