On August 25, 2026, the selection process to replace Mayor Sharon Kalani on the Torrance City Council was somewhat eventful, but at least the council finished the task in the same city council session.
My first choice was Rick Marshall, but I suspected that a more consensus choice would be necessary, so I also suggested Linda Barnett.
Like many residents, I submitted my thoughts to the city council before the meeting started.
Three of the city council members got back to me on Tuesday afternoon, right after I emailed my comments on the city council appointment process. That was really good.
Ultimately, my biggest concern was that the city council would not select Adam Schwartz. My opposition is not unique. He has repeatedly defamed and attacked people in the city, including myself, because we disagree with his views on pushing LGBT indoctrination in the public square. Such immature bigotry has no place on the city council.
It's all the more alarming that his great-grandfather is Sam Levy of Adult Center fame. He must be rolling in his grave to see how abusive and disgraceful one of his descendants has become.
I am glad that he was shot down before he had a chance to compete.
Councilman Sheikh disappointed by nominating Schwartz. Not sure why he thought he owed him something. Thankfully, the nomination fizzled out, and Sheikh more than made up for it by achieving consensus on the third vote and supporting Linda Barnett for the open seat. He signaled that he would be the fourth vote, after Mayor Kalani and councilmembers Lewis and Lieu signalled twice before their preference for Barnett.
Councilman Kartsonis insisted Aroi Sharma twice. I appreciated her effort to stop the red light cameras in the city, but I am concerned about her more ideological leanings. We need proper, common-sense consensus on the city council, and I am glad that even the more progressive Betty Lieu acquiesced to the larger will and better welfare of the city.
I am also really glad that my city councilmember, Brigdett Lewis, supported Barnett early, but also gave Jessica Maldonado a chance. It shows that she listens to people and is willing to let their voice be heard.
This outcome was better than expected. As far as I can tell, no left-wing radicals are on the city, and an ongoing commitment to "Back to Business" is moving forward. All of this works for me.
Congratulations to Councilmember Barnett. I look forward to speaking with her this week or next week.

No comments:
Post a Comment