Schaper's Endorsements/Recommendations for California General Election 2026
At first, I was thinking about not doing an endorsement list. A friend of mine contacted me in September 2026 asking me to provide a list of voting preferences for the LA County voters in my area.
I thought that most of the endorsement lists were adequate enough, plus the fact that more races have only Democrats this year, which would make listing an endorsement really problematic.
However, looking over the ballot this year, and recognizing that some of the endorsement lists from statewide organizations are questionable, and the long list of appellate justices to consider for retention or rejection, I decided to provide an endorsement list after all.
If it's a Democrat, it's a recommendation, not an endorsement.
So, here goes!
Every candidate and office is listed in the order that they appear on my ballot, so please forgive me if the list order seems strange or odd.
1. El Camino Community College Board Member, Trustee Area 5
Keicy Chung
She's a business owner who wants to expand applied tech and trade employment. The opponent is a proud member of her local PTA, which is an automatic red flag for me.
State Senator, 24th District
Brian Goldsmith
This race has two Democrats in it, so it's a clothespin vote. Goldsmith has been endorsed by Nathan Hochman, and he's been focusing on transparency and quality-of-life issues in his ad campaigns. I also have no problem with his receiving funding from tech corporations supporting data centers. Creating more AI hardware is a good thing.
His opponent is an out LGBT activist from West Hollywood. That is an automatic NO for me.
State Assembly, 66th District
Paul Seo
This race is a bitter disappointment. We have two Democrats in the Top Two because George Barks spoiled the preferred Republican candidate Jessica Maldonado's chances. He jumped into the race at the last minute, thus splitting the vote. Very disappointing.
We have to stop Berniecrat (and racist) Sara Deen from getting the assembly seat. Hold your nose and vote for Seo, who has a military and law enforcement background.
United States Representative, 36th District
No Endorsement
At first, I enthusiastically supported Houston Brignano. He was endorsed by the CRA and promoted by Pastor Derrick Gates.
After the primary, he received the endorsement of the Log Cabin "Republicans."
This is not conservative at all. This is a betrayal. I wrote Houston my opposition to this endorsement, and he just made excuses.
I cannot reward betrayal, and I cannot support a candidate promoted by a Pastor who then turns around and accepts the endorsement from an anti-Christian, anti-family hate group.
County Sheriff
Alex Villanueva
I voted for him when he was a registered Democrat in the primary and the general election during Election 2022 because he took a stand against mask mandates and COVID-19 lockdowns. He is now a Republican, and I am voting for him again. Robert Luna is a disaster to the LA County Sheriff's Department, a woke leader who kowtows to the LA County Board of Supervisors and refuses to take a stand against the corruption and general cultural malaise overtaking the county. An unprecedented number of sheriff's deputies have committed suicide or left the department because of Luna's mishandling.
Judicial Seats
Office 64 -- Write In Larry Elder
Both judicial candidates are so awful, so woke, so unqualified that I cannot vote for either of them.
Office 65 -- Anna Slotky Reitano
She has a broad array of sound endorsements, including the SoCal News Group. I will trust their judgment on this judicial nominee.
This measure seemed good at first because it restricts bargaining power for some public jobs in the county. However, this measure would extended collective bargaining for the remaining public employees so that the county cannot force its best, final offer on those unions. The measure has too much sleight-of-hand for my taste, and the unions most likely pressed for this measure so that they could extend negotiations to an arbitration board and get more money.
County Measure E
NO
This proposal expands the oversight bureaucracy. We don't need more investigators or quality control officers. We need less government. Period.
Governor
Steve Hilton
Yes, I wanted Riverside County Sheriff Chad Bianco, but I pledged to vote for the GOP nominee come November, no matter who. I even told Hilton that at the CRA Convention in February that I would vote for him.
On another note, while his staffer tried to protect him from my questions, Hilton approached me directly and said, "Look, I know you're supporting the sheriff, and that's fine. What should I do differently?"
He actually wanted my thoughts on improving his chances. I respect that.
After the primary, I have noticed Hilton showing real effort. He is campaigning all over the state, putting himself in the public eye as much as possible. He's gotten plenty of great press, and he forced former AG Xavier Becerra to debate! The public, especially Republicans in California, still don't appreciate how incredible that is!
I was worried that Trump would be too liberal as President, but for both terms he has exceeded expectations. I trust Hilton will, as well.
He has my vote.
Lieutenant Governor
Gloria Romero
I have liked former state senator Gloria Romero, even when she was a Democrat. She was not crazy; she cared about school choice; and she pushed for key reforms in the state legislature.
Now she's a Republican, and she's not afraid to fight for what is best for California. She even voted for Trump, and she was not afraid to tell the public:
Secretary of State
Donald Wagner
The rest of the statewide executive offices are easy to endorse. Republican all the way, but it's worth adding a little to convince anyone who is thinking about sitting out the election, or if there are independents or disaffected, open-minded Democrats who want to consider GOP options.
Don Wagner is not afraid to meet with small groups or large. He has attended a number of picnics to meet with the people. He fought against vaccine passport proposals in Orange County. He wanted to take a stand against SB 54 when he served on the Irvine City Council.
Controller
Herb Morgan
I just found out that the McClatchy News Group, which owns the Sacramento Bee, has endorsed Morgan for State Controller.
That alone should encourage everyone to vote for him.
He's a conservative committed to rooting out corruption and waste. He wants to audit all the state finances. He has a plan, and he's committed to getting it done.
Treasurer
Heather Hawks
I have nothing extra to add besides the fact that she has business experience, which her opponent was the Lieutenant Governor who couldn't compete for Governor!
Attorney General
Michael Gates
Michael Gates is the celebrated city attorney for Huntington Beach. He has led multiple fights to secure the vote, protect the city, and protect children from predators and perversion in the classroom.
He's a true zealous advocate who will fight for the best for California.
Insurance Commissioner
Ben Allen
This is another clothespin vote, since two Democrats made it into the Top Two.
Jane Kim is a Berniecrat, and Bernie Sanders will be holding rally for her in Los Angeles on October 5th, 2026. We need to stop a crypto-communist from taking over the insurance industry in our state.
State Senator Ben Allen is an outlandish progressive, but he will not be as crazy. He fought for local control in the South Bay regarding housing issues, and he helped push back on the "conversion therapy" ban somewhat in 2018. I have met him one time, and in 2015 he worked with Republican State Assemblyman David Hadley to pass school choice for military families in the state of California.
Board of Equalization, Third District
Mike Gipson
This is another clothespin vote between two Democrats. Mike Gipson is the establishment pick with all the money and power behind him from every political interest in the state. A Democratic political consultant informed me that he is functionally illiterate. He can sound out words, but he has no idea what he has read.
But the alternative is worse. Sukaton is a Bernie Bro. We need to stop the communists at all costs.
State Superintendent of Schools
Sonja Shaw
She's awesome! She has been the most outspoken fighter for kids across the state, including no boys in girls' sports or spaces, no keeping secrets from parents, and focusing on education, not indoctrination. The Democratic Party is scared of this woman, and Governor Gavin Newsom took extraordinary steps to limit her power should she get elected.
She's a threat to the corrupt, child-abusing status quo. We need her for State Superintendent!
Statewide Propositions
One --- NO!
No bonds. NONE! EVER!
Two --- NO!
The argument for an increased rainy day fund is really an argument to increase spending and taxes. NO!
Three -- NO!
It's an extension of taxes previously passed by initiative. We need to stop these taxes!
Four --- NO!
Tax dollars should not be used for campaigns. You want to run for office? You spend your money or raise the money through private donations.
Five --- NO!
This initiative aims to gut the voters' recall power. Don't let them do it!
Thirty-Seven --- NO!
The state should not be creating loan programs for anyone or anything. You want to buy a home? Save your money; don't spend mine!
Thirty-Eight --- NO!
I am disagreeing with Reform California and other organizations on this one. Public-Private partnerships should not be getting our money. I don't care what the research is for; California is going broke, and we need to stop spending we don't even have.
Thirty-Nine --- YES!
If you cannot prove that you are a citizen, you should not vote. Voter ID is a necessity, and even third-world countries like India require voter ID before citizens can vote. The heading for this initiative is not confusing to me, and no one but citizens should vote, and they should prove they are citizens to vote.
Forty --- NO!
This is the billionaire's tax that will turn into another middle-class tax. NO!
Forty-One -- YES!
Stops taxes. How can you not like that?
Forty-Two --- YES!
Stops taxes. How can you not like that?
Forty-Three -- YES!
This initiative would raise the threshold to pass bonds in municipal, county, and other elections. I completely support this. Only those who pay taxes should be voting on whether to raise taxes. Bonds and other tax hikes at the municipal level should require massive buy-in before passage. Local governments should focus more on balancing their budgets and cutting spending rather than taking more from taxpayers.
Forty-Four -- NO!
This measure wants to layer more red tape and fines on community health clinics, which are suffering from lack of funding as it is, plus all the federal Medicare and Medicaid fraud! We don't need to make their operation and governance any more difficult.
Forty-Five --- YES!
This measure will put a stop to the CEQA abuses that labor unions and corporate interests rely on to stop building projects.
State Judicial Seats
These can be considerably complicated, and California has a unique system in which the governor appoints the State Supreme Court and appellate court justices, but we the people can vote to retain or reject them.
My criteria was basic: was the judge or justice first appointed by a Republican? If so, I vote to Retain. If not, I vote to Reject.
I am urging voters to RETAIN THESE TWO JUSTICES ONLY, AND REJECT ALL THE OTHERS
RETAIN:
Brian Hoffstadt
He was appointed by Governor Schwarzenegger, and he clerked for Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. He's not a radical or even a Democrat, I presume, based on his resume and first appointment.
Kenneth Yegan
He was appointed by George Dukmeijian, and his first appointment was in 1990! He's old-school, as far as I'm concerned.
No comments:
Post a Comment