Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Letter to the Editor: School Districts Ask Parents to Front the Costs

 


(Response to California Schools Are Going Broke -- No Surprise There!)

Mr Schaper-

I read your article on California school financing today. and based on the content I felt I should share a couple of anecdotes from my past (although you may already be familiar with both these examples)-

My daughter attended the Palos Verdes School district for 11 years and graduated from Pennisula High in 2016. During that time I had two interactions with the district that clearly defined the district's overall priorities.

The first occurred when I called the District office to register my daughter as a new student. After a couple rings, the automated "phone tree" offered several options to choose from. The first option stated "If you are a teacher with a payroll issue, please press 1." I found it quite telling that the number one district phone priority was staff payroll issues.

The second occurred anytime my wife or I called my daughter's school to report her absent due to illness. Each time the answering machine provided directions on how to properly report our child's abscence, including a requst that we write a check to cover the lost revenue related to our childs abscence. I forget the exact amount but it was around $90 a day. I always laughed at this silly request, but once again it demonstrated the district priorities regarding my daughter's education.

As I said, you may have already heard these stories, but if not I thought it was worth my time to share these real world examples of California school district policies.

Thank you,

Dave Skinner

----------

Mr. Skinner:

Thank you so much for your letter.

The phone tree anecdote I have never heard before. It sounds par for the course, sadly.

Teachers' unions hold incredible political sway over school districts, which is a crime, since most of the teachers don't live in the district; therefore, it's not their taxes paying for the schools!

Regarding the school's arrogant request that you compensate them for your daughter's absence, I have heard similar stories, and they all need to be reported.

Of course, the wealthier, higher-performing school districts like Palos Verdes USD are getting the shaft when it comes to state funding, so of course the district has to ask parents to chip in. I live in the South Bay (Torrance!), so I am all too aware of the Ed Foundations needed to help districts cover costs.

It's so unfair!

Arthur Schaper

No comments:

Post a Comment